Thursday, September 6, 2018

DIY Fabric Pumpkins

Welcome to Pink Glitter!

I have wanted to try my hand at making 
fabric pumpkins for a while, Glitterinas!

I have read many "how to's" and finally just 
decided that the time had arrived!

Let me share my process with you in hopes 
you will decide that the time has arrived 
for you to give pumpkin making a try!

I will gather up the few supplies I need 
and
you can get a beverage and get settled 
into your favorite, comfy chair!

Okie dokie, Glitterinas, let's get busy!


Supplies needed are:

bag of poly-fil

fabric (I chose two colors of gingham, one yard of each.)

matching embroidery floss (though, it really doesn't show much)

needle

scissors 

marker

round items to trace around 
(I used a 6 inch bread plate that made a 3 inch pumpkin,
 a 14 inch placemat that made a 7 inch pumpkin, and 
a 28 inch tray that made a 12 inch pumpkin.)

Here we go.....


Lay out the fabric and trace around a round item.



Cut out the circle.



Pretty simple and straight forward.....

.....now sew a basting stitch around the edge of the fabric.


Don't sew super close to the edge or the stitches will 
pull out when they are gathered up.


When the basting stitch goes all the way around....

.......gather up the circle by pulling gently on the 
basting thread.  Do not clip the thread.

This is a medium pumpkin.


This is a small pumpkin.


Stuff the pumpkin with poly-fil.
Use plenty.....plump pumpkins are pretty pumpkins!

That's a fun tongue twister for the 
grand~darlings!


When the pumpkin is all stuffed and full,
finish gathering it up by pulling the basting stitch
again.....steady, gentle pulling is needed here.

When the fabric is gathered all together, 
take several stitches across the opening.

This was the tricky part for me.

I was channeling my friend, Lula, who is 
wonderful at stitchery!


Here is a medium pumpkin.....
all stitched up!


Here is a little pumpkin all 
stitched up.

When this stitching is complete
cut the thread and tie it off.
Trim the thread.


Repeat these steps as many times as you 
want to complete your pumpkin patch!

Here's the large pumpkin.....


Last year I saved the stems from all the 
real pumpkins that I had.



These stems will be perfect for all the new fabric 
pumpkins!

This was the most enjoyable part of this 
process for me......the stuffed fabric poufs 
looked mostly like pumpkins.....



....but the stems made them really 
look like pumpkins!


This is my favorite stem!

So curly and interesting.....
just the right one for this pumpkin!


All the pumpkins found a stem!


I piled all the pumpkins into a basket to 
wait until it was their time to shine with all the other 
Fall decorations......


....it won't be long, you little cuties!


Here's some information about the supplies I used....

I didn't use all the fabric.
I made one large, five medium and four small pumpkins.

I didn't use the whole bag of poly-fil.


I bought ribbon for bows but decided the pumpkins were 
cute enough without them!

Several of the tutorials I read filled their pumpkins with 
rice or beans.

I decided to use poly-fil because I store my seasonal decorations in 
plastic tubs out in one of the store rooms.... and I didn't want to tempt 
any little critters with rice and bean snacks!



Well Glitterinas, that's my tutorial for 
DIY fabric pumpkins!

If you decide to give these a try
I hope these pictures and this narrative 
help you out!

Please share a picture of your fabric pumpkins,
I would love to see them!




Now, come on Fall weather....
I am anxiously awaiting your arrival!


Until next time,
Tammy






















No comments:

Post a Comment