Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Carnitas for Dinner

I'm preparing one of my favorite dinners,
Glitterinas!

Grab a beverage, get comfy,
and let me show you how to prepare this 
delicious, simple dinner!

Carnitas!
Pork shoulder cuts....from your butcher 
at your favorite shop.

Begin with trimming up the chunks 
of meat.



I leave some marbling on the pieces of meat 
but trim off large bits.

Sarge, our cute, little watchdog, will enjoy these 
trimmings.


I cook the meat in a small pot with 
a lid.


Place the lid on and begin cooking the meat on medium 
high heat for 15-20 minutes....
stirring a couple times.


I cut up a medium onion while the 
meat is cooking.



I won't add these onion slices to the meat until 
the meat is almost ready to serve. 



After the meat has cooked for a bit,
I add the spices.


Cumin, chili powder,


salt and pepper.

I used my new favorite salt mixture,
Everything Salt.


Cook the meat for about 10 more minutes.

Most of the moisture will cook away.

If I think the meat is drying out 
I will add some water.....less than 
1/4 cup.

I don't want dry meat....it's so much better 
when the meat is moist.

This cut of meat will be so nice and tender 
if you cook it slowly.

I add the onions and give it all 
a good stir.


Add a bit more spice.....


....put on the lid, lower the heat, 
and let the mixture cook for 
2-3 more minutes.


I serve the carnitas with 
tortillas,
salsa,
guacamole,
sour cream,
grated cheese,



.....mango salsa....



....and I almost forgot the lime slices.

When dinner is just husband and I,
the add on items are just laid out in their containers.


For guests or large family groups, 
I place all the extras in bowls....lately I have 
used my Pioneer Woman bowls. 

I also make spanish rice and/or 
charro beans to go along with 
the carnitas.

Yummy, yummy dinner!


Let's eat!


Here's my plate.....


.....here's husband's plate.

He doesn't eat tortillas so he makes 
his plate without them.


This set up is great for each person to be 
able to build their own dinner 
with just what they like!

The last group I served this dinner to
was this group of lovelies!

This is my sweet bunco group
at our November get together!




Carnitas!

If this meat isn't on your dinner rotation,
I hope you'll give it a try.

Ask your favorite butcher or just a 
butcher at your store to help you
pick out a package of carnitas 
meat that will work for the group 
you are feeding!

Thank you so much for letting me share 
this recipe with you, Glitterinas!



I hope your holiday is full of 
people you enjoy and time to relax!


Until next time,
Tammy


























No comments:

Post a Comment