Monday, September 25, 2017

Yummy Recipe This Morning, Bunco Tonight!

Welcome Glitterinas!

I'm so glad you opened this post from 
Pink Glitter!

Thank you so much for taking a 
minute or two to check in
on what's happening here!

I'm going to bunco tonight and 
I'll be taking one of my Mom's favorite 
recipes.

Layered Cauliflower Salad

She made this layered salad every year 
at Christmas and at Easter.

I always loved having lots of people over for 
holiday meals and this salad was such a welcome 
part of the food offerings.....
and if there were any leftovers 
they were even more tasty!

Let's head on into the kitchen 
and get busy!

I start by making sure I have all the ingredients 
needed for a recipe.....

mayo, grated and shredded Parmesan cheese.....



.....fresh head of cauliflower and spring mix lettuces....


fresh shallots from the herb bed to chop 
chop
chop.....


......and chopped bacon.

Which goes into the skillet for a quick fry.


Hail, hail the gang's all here!


Let's get these goodies all layered up for a 
delicious salad!

This recipe is one that lends itself well to 
what I call
"cook's choice".

Add a little more of this...

Take that out.....

Change out this for that.....

you know, that personalization that makes 
a recipe just right for your eaters!

My parents, sister, and I liked green peas, so there was a layer 
of them in the original iteration of this 
recipe.

Well, now there are people in my family who think 
they are being poisoned if I have 
green peas in the house! 

So, no green pea layer in my salad.....
but feel free to add them, 
if it works for your crew!

I like to use a glass bowl
because I think the layers look nice.



First layer.....chopped cauliflower.....
half a head for today.

There are usually 10-12 lovelies at bunco 
so half a cauliflower will work.

Slice.....


.....then chop.....


.....and it does not matter how careful you are....

chopped cauliflower goes everywhere! 

Everywhere, I tell you!

Would it be a surprise if I told you this is my 
least favorite step of this recipe?!

Hmmmm, well, no, 
maybe wiping up all the tiny 
pieces of escaped, chopped cauliflower is my least favorite part!

Oh well, that's enough whining 
from me about chopped cauliflower, right?!

The chopped, renegade cauliflower goes into the bowl.

Next in is the lettuce.

Rough chop....and into the bowl it goes.


Lettuce is much better behaved than cauliflower!


Now it's time to add all the ingredients that make 
this salad such a yummy offering!

Chopped, tiny pieces of shallots....saving a bit 
for a garnish, if you like.

Green onions work well for this step, too.


.....chopped bacon pieces.....


.....a very delicious layer.


Now, it's time to sprinkle on a layer of 
grated Parmesan cheese.


Then some shredded Parmesan cheese....
if you prefer, you can just add one or the other.

Just make sure you have a nice overall layer.


Over the cheese layer goes the mayo....


.....use about 1 cup.....


....spread it all over to seal up all the salad ingredients.


I like to add a bit of chopped shallot to 
the top for a garnish.


Cover and refrigerate until time to serve.

Or in this case.....until time to head over to
bunco!

Right before serving this salad needs a 
good, big, 
all the way to the bottom 
stir!


These plastic covers are so handy....I can always find them 
at Target.


Into the fridge.....


Give this salad a try, Glitterinas!

You'll enjoy it and so will anyone 
who's dining with you!



Thanks again for letting me share this 
recipe with you.

Until next time,
Tammy



Mom’s Layered Cauliflower Salad

Layer into a glass bowl the following ingredients, in order listed.

It’s better to have a bowl that’s too big than one that is full to the rim, because you need to give this salad a complete stir right before serving.

head of cauliflower, chopped
lettuce greens, rough chopped (one head or one pkg. of mixed greens)
can of green peas, drained 
6-7 green onions, chopped
5-6 pieces of bacon, fried and chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, sprinkled in an even layer
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, sprinkled in an even layer
1 cup mayo, spread over salad to seal 
chopped onion, garnish, if desired 

Refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving.  Stir salad well before serving.

Enjoy!





































No comments:

Post a Comment