Friday, June 15, 2018

Two Ways to Dry Roses

Hello Glitterinas!

I want to share how to dry roses with you today.

I use dried roses in decorating,
in wreath making,
 in making pot pourri,
etc.

Long stemmed roses can be dried 
quite easily by 
hanging them on a wire coat hanger 
with clothes pins.



Six to eight roses will fit on most hangers.
Hang the hanger in a dry spot for 
the best results.

I hang my roses 
(and other flowers, too) 
near my hot water heater to dry out.

These roses will dry in a week or two.

They will be somewhat fragile, so 
handle them carefully as you 
use them in a dried arrangement or in 
an interesting craft.

Sometimes I want rose petals for a particular
project.

To dry petals, I remove the rose heads 
from the stems.

Grasp the entire rose head 
gently but firmly...


.....and while holding the stem, 
push down on the rose head.


The entire head will come off of the stem.
The stems can be thrown away unless you have 
a project that will use them.


Lay the rose head on a metal cookie sheet.


Gently push the petals apart making 
a large circle of petals.


The tight center cluster of petals 
will need to be turned over and 
separated so all of the petals can dry.


Keep going with each rose until they 
are all taken apart and ready to dry.


Now the petals need a dry place to sit.

I placed this tray of petals on a shelf out in the garage.
Nothing will disturb the petals here 
while they are drying.


In two weeks, I had a lovely batch of 
dried rose petals.

These petals are destined to be pot pourri sachets.
I use organza bags that tie up with satin ribbons.

They make pretty little additions that
look so lovely tied on a gift!

I enjoy having plenty of these for my personal
use, also.

I hope you'll give these rose drying techniques 
a try the next time you have access to some 
beautiful roses.

Roses, roses, roses.....love!

Leave me a comment so I'll 
know you stopped by!


Thanks for stopping by, Glitterinas!

Until next time,
Tammy
















No comments:

Post a Comment